Top 3 safest kayaks for 2023
When you first hear of an inflatable kayak, the first thing that comes into mind is a pool toy for home use and not an actual watercraft. Most people do not expect inflatable kayaks to stand up to actual kayaks in terms of safety and stability. While inflatable kayaks do not look like the normal sturdy kayaks people are used to, this does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe.
Are inflatable kayaks safe? Despite what most people know and assume, inflatable kayaks are some of the most durables options available today. They are built to withstand hash water conditions, making them ideal for flat water, rivers and even the ocean without the possibilities of them sinking or popping. While most professionals may not favor them in the place or ordinary kayaks, inflatable kayaks are incredibly ideal for beginners and advanced peddlers too.
The first time you sit in an inflatable kayak, you will feel unstable compared to a traditional boat. However, they are very stable and supportive once you get used to being in one. Here are three of the best inflatable kayaks and more info about safety and stability of inflatable kayaks.
|Intex Challenger K1 Kayak, 1-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump||Learn more|
|Top||Elkton Outdoors Steelhead Inflatable Fishing Kayak - Two-Person Angler Blow Up Kayak, Includes Paddles, Seats, Hard Mounting Points, Bungee Storage, Rigid Dropstitch Floor and Spray Guard||Learn more|
Intex Challenger Kayak Inflatable Set with Aluminum Oars
This nimble, durable kayak is made of durable welded material with eye catching graphics for added safety on the lake or slow moving river. It comes with a Cockpit designed for comfort and maximized space, and inflatable I beam floors for added stability. The cargo net allows you to store extra gear, and grab line on both ends of kayak with Inflatable seat with backrest. It comes with 84 inch aluminum oar, repair patch and Hi output manual hand pump; Rugged vinyl construction.
This inflatable kayak measures 30 by 15 by 108 inches (W x H x D), with 27.2 pound weight and 220 pound maximum capacity.
- Nimble, durable kayak is made of durable welded material with eye catching graphics for added safety on the lake or slow moving river
- Cockpit is designed for comfort and maximized space, and inflatable I beam floors add stability
- Cargo net to store extra gear, and grab line on both ends of kayak; Inflatable seat with backrest
- Comes with 84 inch aluminum oar, repair patch and Hi output manual hand pump; Rugged vinyl construction
- Measures 30 by 15 by 108 inches (W x H x D), with 27.2 pound weight and 220 pound maximum capacity
Driftsun Rover 120/220 Inflatable Tandem White-Water Kayak
This is a highly durable & lightweight kayak. It fully inflates to a full sized kayak in less than 10 minutes and weighs a manageable 28 Lbs. 1000D Reinforced Layered PVC side tubes, Heavy-duty PVC Tarpaulin bottom provides durable protection from punctures.
It is highly stable & maneuverable thanks to the rigid high pressure drop stitch floor, removable flat water tracking fin, and ample rocker profile deliver unmatched stability and control in rough and flat water.
It is suitable up to class III and IV rapids, 8 Self Bailing Ports, Plentiful Tie Down Points for Gear and Front Action Camera Mount. It can fit 2 Adults + Child, Gear, or a Furry Friend with an inflation Time of 9 Mins at an inflation Pressure of 3 PSI Side Tubes & 6 PSI Floor.
Elkton Outdoors Steelhead Fishing Kayak
This rafter comes with a hull weight of 44lbs, load capacity of 600lbs, rigid dropstitch floor, front bow spray shield, seven hard mounting points, Halkey Roberts locking valves, ample bow/stern storage and side carry handles. The Rigid Dropstitch Floor is an excellent fishing platform for both seated and standing casting. The floor also protects the rider and their vessel from underwater obstacles and functions as an excellent and platform to support kayak fishing accessories. Unlike other inflatable kayaks, The Elkton Outdoors Steelhead series will not rip or tear when encountering underwater obstacles.
It also includes PVC kayak fishing boat, two lightweight breakdown kayak paddles, removable skeg, travel bag with backpack straps, two padded high back support adjustable Eva seats, 2 drop-in adjustable footrest and a dual action high volume / high-pressure hand air pump.
The Elkton Outdoors Steelhead series kayaks have multiple Scotty style mount attachment points for fishing rod holders, fish finders, bait tray and so much more. The bow features a robust bungie stuff compartment and storage.
- DIMENSIONS & SPECS - Hull Dimensions: 12 6 x 3 3, Hull Weight: 44lbs, Load Capacity: 600lbs, Rigid Dropstitch Floor, Front Bow Spray Shield, 7 x Hard Mounting Points, Halkey Roberts Locking Valves, Ample Bow/Stern Storage and Side Carry Handles
- STAND UP CASTING - The Rigid Dropstitch Floor is an excellent fishing platform for both seated and standing casting. The floor also protects the rider and their vessel from underwater obstacles and functions as an excellent and platform to support kayak fishing accessories. Unlike other inflatable kayaks, The Elkton Outdoors Steelhead series will not rip or tear when encountering underwater obstacles.
- INCLUDED - PVC Kayak Fishing Boat, 2 x Lightweight Breakdown Kayak Paddles, Removable Skeg, Travel Bag with Backpack Straps, 2 x Padded High Back Support Adjustable EVA Seats, 2 x Drop-In Adjustable Foot Rest and a Dual Action High Volume / High Pressure Hand Air Pump.
- BUILT FOR THE ANGLER - The Elkton Outdoors Steelhead series kayaks have multiple scotty style mount attachment points for fishing rod holders, fish finders, bait tray and so much more. The bow features a robust bungie stuff compartment and storage.
- GUARANTEE ON WORKMANSHIP & MATERIALS - All Elkton Outdoors Kayaks come with a 1 Year Guarantee on materials, workmanship, and assembly + 30 Day No Hassle Returns
Safety guidelines for inflatable kayaks
Ulrike pool floaters, inflatable kayaks are not made with just one layer of material. Most inflatable kayaks are made with aluminum parts for structural stability. They are encompassed with several players of thick coat material such as polyester and vinyl, making then incredible tough, stable and durable. These types of material can take a beating before they wear and tear. This makes inflatable kayaks ideal for paddling through rough waters and even rocky waters. While it is advisable to be a bit more protective over the inflatable kayak, you should not be worried too much about its durability to stability as it is made to withstand the harsh condition of kayaking.
Because of the material used to build an inflatable kayak, you will rarely need to worry about punctures. Inflatable kayaks are made with modern technology and high-end materials that offer strong exteriors. You can comfortably brush up against rocky waters, tree branches without the possibility of getting a puncture. However, every once in a long while, there is the possibility of a puncture though very uncommon.
When storing away your kayak, ensure you do so away from sharp objects of possibility of tear. The same caution should be exercised when storing the kayak. In the event your kayak suffers a small puncture, these are very easy to repair and have your kayak working as good as new.
Most people worry that once an inflatable kayak is inflated, it is not possible to stand on it since it might fold up. This is not true about inflatable kayaks. Once you inflate the kayak, it is as rigid as an ordinary kayak. You can stand and move around in the kayak without the possibility of it folding up. You will be amazed at how stable and rigid an inflatable kayak is once it is ready to be used. The only reason a kayak would fold is if it is not fully inflated. Therefore, as long as you fully inflate it, you do not have to worry about it holding up your weight or on water.
Can an inflatable kayak sink?
Inflatable kayaks are incredibly buoyant. When a regular kayak capsizes, it is incredibly difficult to remove all the water from the boat before getting back in it again. An inflatable kayak comes with the advantage of being lightweight since they are filled with air. This makes it easier to keep it afloat even in the event you capsize. It is also incredibly easy to dump the water and get back into the boat in no time.
With the tough material used, rigid structure and comfort it offers, it is safe to say that inflatable kayaks are just as safe as an ordinary kayak. With any of the three option above, you can enjoy wild water rafting just the way you like it.